Thursday, March 13, 2014

Blue and White China plus a new Living Room Vision Board

So, I've recently come into possession of my grandmother's blue and white china collection (which was, to my satisfaction, almost complete.)   It turns out that it's not quite as old or important as she might have thought (she tends to reason that things of great sentimental value to her MUST be worth a great deal) but from what I can tell, this pattern is beautiful but not anything altogether special.  From my internet research, I've determined that the set must date from 1913 to 1920.  The maker was Furnivals LTD out of England, and the pattern name was "Cluny."  It is clear to me that some of my pieces are replacement pieces, as some are missing the gold trim, and the sizing/ink colors are not consistent throughout.  But to me, that just gives it all even more charm.  My sister Jennifer and I split the set, although ultimately if we ever sell it, we would put the set back together.  We divided all plates, soup bowls and cups evenly, and then haggled over the special pieces.  I took the teapot, the over-sized sugar bowl, a small serving bowl, and several small to medium serving platters including what I would consider to be a pickle dish or butter dish.   Jennifer took the soup tureen (the ladle has long since gone missing), the water pitcher, and several larger serving platters. 







I've always felt that this blue and white set would blend well with my Ironstone collecting plans.  But, as much as I love blue and white decor, I love red and black as well and I wasn't sure how I could remake my living and dining spaces to incorporate all of the above in a cohesive manner.  I personally find the combination of red and blue to be appealing.  My best friend is getting married this fall, and we are utilizing a cherry red/turquoise color scheme.  But blue/red can be difficult because of the potential "patriotic" effect it might have.  Now, I want my home to have a modern french country feel, NOT be reminiscent of July 4th all year round.  So, I was pleasantly surprised to realize that the faded ink of the china is more french blue or a very blue turquoise than navy. 

So, I came up with this vision board for the living room that incorporates a few "blue" pieces in and overall, softens the harshness of the red/black color scheme.  I think I like it. 

Starting in upper left corner and working my way down:  The red bowl with balls is mine already, the bench is mine (i.e. the one I recovered from Elephant's Trunk, that Teal lampshade is from Target (Target Floral Toile Teal Lampshade $22.99) ,that M is something I already have in my house (a painted letter from Michael's), that lamp base is also from Target (Threshold Black Orb lamp base, $34.99) the curtains I already own (Threshold Farrah Floral pannels in Black which I got on clearance for $14.99 a piece), the light blue toile throw pillows are a purchase I am about to make from Amazon (Camella Toile Pillow) , the rug is a steal of a deal from IKEA (Tarnby Flatwoven Rug, $99.00 for a 6 x 8) the clock is also from Target Oversized Red Wall Clock $35.99) the IKEA black Lack side tables already belong to me, the blue accent table with glass doors is another Target steal (and also comes in a console table which might interest me) (Threshold Windham one door accent cabinet $76.99) , those are my curtains again folded up, a French Country color scheme I pinned on Pinterest, the IKEA round black/white floral lamps I already own, another beautiful accent cabinet choice from Target: (Threshold Fretwork Accent Table $62.00) some red stand-in couches to represent my loveseat and chair set from Bob's Furniture (Big Kahuna was the set name, now discontinued, in red) , my red metal wall art to bring in a modern touch, that same IKEA Tarnby rug again, my IKEA lack white tv bench, another gorgeous Target lampshade choice (Threshold Flocked Floral Shade Lamp $22.49), my framed rustic picture of Micah (frame came from Michael's crafts) and inspiring barn painting from http://www.wickartwork.com/Images/images_2005/PrarieBarn.jpg, and my IKEA black/white Stockholm cushions that I already own, plus another shot of my curtain fabric.

1 comment:

  1. I have some blue and white china from my gram too! I ADORE it. I'll have to show you when you visit ;-) I love this riff on your black white and red theme so much, as you know :)

    ReplyDelete