Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Pumpkins 2012

Part of learning to live an artful life involves tapping into a part of me, that for a short time, died.  Little things that used to bring me joy, seemed fruitless for awhile.  I lost a part of myself that I was afraid I would never get back.  But it is coming back.  Slowly, and bit by bit.

Tradition is important to me, as is family.  And I've always felt connected to the rituals of my childhood that sustained me even through rough times.  Holidays were perfect examples.  We were big into tradition: tree decorating, egg dying, and of course, pumpkin carving.

I take my pumpkin carving seriously.  Okay fine, too seriously.  I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist.  (Who me?  Never, ever.)  I am working on simplicity.  I'm getting there.  But I felt a tremendous amount of joy because for the first time, in maybe, (11 years????) all three of my sisters were in a room carving a pumpkin.  We had a few additions to our ritual.  There was an adorable baby watching in awe, and an "Uncle" Dave carving a pumpkin with Shannon.  But there was joy right along with the change.  And yes, I did think of him.  Shannon and I talked about a few of the pumpkin that Jaime had "created" over the years as he used to get into this family tradition right along beside me.  But it was okay.  I was okay.  The pictures of the final product are courtesy of my brother in law.  He is a much better photographer than I.














4 comments:

  1. Wow, these look awesome. Would you believe I have never really carved a pumpkin?? You are probably wanting to yell at me, orrrr make me carve one with you :-) I am glad you are finding joy and happiness in things like this. These are what memories are made of, traditions :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, after your facebook status I think I am a bit more enlightened now about WHY you have never carved a pumpkin. I think it all depends on how you felt about it as a kid, and it sounds it was never your thing. We had family traditions surrounding it, and even our extended family got into it. Remember, I hate summer which you love so I guess we are even. ;)

      You and I are like night and day personified.

      I thought you'd at least like the "wicked" reference seeing as it's one of our fave New England sayings.

      Delete
  2. I totally thought the Wicked was in honor of the musical. Lol! That is great. The pumpkins are fantastic. What a fun tradition to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I didn't even think of the musical, lol. But that would be appropriate too!

      Delete